Oil & Gas Law - Marcellus & Utica Shale
Pollock Morris Belletti and Simms, LLC provides clients with a multidisciplinary group of attorneys experienced in representing landowners in short and long-term planning related to Marcellus Shale or Utica Shale leases. Our attorneys represent clients in all aspects of such transactions, from negotiation of the lease, to income tax and estate planning to achieve the maximum reduction of current income tax liability and potential federal and state death taxes. We can assist landowners through:
- Review and negotiation of leases.
- Work with clients to design personalized plans to meet each client’s individual circumstances and needs.
- Income tax planning to significantly reduce current income tax liabilities.
- Short and long-term estate planning to reduce potential death tax liability.
- Use of legal entities to provide tax savings, while providing for continuity of the family farm.
- Provide a means for succession planning to transfer the family farm to the next generation.
- Design a plan that will give landowners the ability to employ family members and provide benefits such as health insurance and 401k retirement plans.
Pollock Morris Belletti and Simms, LLC’s practice in Oil and Gas Law involves not only the above, but often involves litigation. As soon as a dispute arises about land owner rights, payment of royalties or bonus fees, trespass or actions to quiet title, call the attorneys at Pollock Morris Belletti and Simms, LLC. We stand ready with a wealth of experience prepared to help guide clients through all aspects of the litigation process.
Bonus payments and royalties from Marcellus Shale or Utica Shale drilling often produce life-changing wealth for many landowners. This impacts not only long-term future planning, but also immediate planning for mitigation of the current income tax liabilities facing landowners who receive windfall bonus payments.
- The attorneys of Pollock Morris Belletti and Simms, LLC have worked extensively with landowners throughout western Pennsylvania who are entering into or have entered into leases with drilling companies seeking to explore the Marcellus and Utica Shale Formations. Our attorneys are involved in all aspects of lease and royalty planning, from the review and negotiation of leases to short and long-term income tax planning and estate planning to protect this source of wealth for our clients, their children and grandchildren, while substantially reducing current income tax liability for the landowner. The attorneys at Pollock Morris Belletti and Simms, LLC, provide the following:
- Review and negotiation of leases and related forms to help landowners understand the documents they are being asked to sign and assist them in negotiating the most favorable terms
- Income tax planning to significantly reduce current income tax liabilities resulting from windfall bonus payments and royalty payments
- Short and long-term estate planning to reduce potential death or estate tax liability
- Use of family limited partnerships, limited liability companies, business trusts and other legal entities to provide immediate and future income tax and death tax savings, while providing for continuity of the family farm
- Provide a means for succession planning to transfer the family farm to the next generation while keeping the senior generation in full control of the business operations until the next generation is ready.
- Design a plan that will allow for asset protection from creditors, give families the ability to employ family members and provide benefits such as health insurance and 401k retirement plans
- Royalty planning is not a “one-size-fits-all” proposition; we work with clients to design personalized plans to meet each client’s individual circumstances and needs.
It is our continuing goal work with clients on an individual basis to learn, understand and address their needs and their individual circumstances in order to formulate personalized plans that will help them achieve their goals and protect their newly found wealth. We will help clients evaluate the challenges, circumstances and relevant tax provisions that confront them. We strive to help clients evaluate options, or combination of options for investment organization and succession of wealth and will provide for the greatest reduction of income tax liability and potential federal and state death taxes.